Sunday, July 31, 2011

Revelations 20:12-15, Isaiah 55:1-3, Romans 8:35, 37-39, Matthew 14:13-21, Psalm 145:8-9, 15-18

Daily Meditation:  Revelations 20:12-15

Revelations 20:12-15

12 I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before the throne while books were opened. Another book, the Book of Life, was also opened. Then the dead were judged ac­cord­ing to the records of these books, that is, each one according to his works.
13 The sea gave up the dead it had kept, as did death and the netherworld, so that all might be judged according to their works. 14 Then death and the netherworld were thrown into the lake of fire. This lake of fire is the second death. 15 All who were not recorded in the Book of Life were thrown into the lake of fire.

While it is true my Beloved that our good works will not save us, the proof of our faith and love for You is a life of good works.  St. James reminds us that faith without works is dead.  If I believe in You, if I love You then I will look for every opportunity to please You.  In imitation of You, I too will be moved to pity and compassion when I seen another in need, want and suffering.  We are one body in You and it is right that we help each other for love of You and for each other.

There are those who deliberately or ignorantly misjudge Catholics saying that we believe our works will take us to You.  Reason alone will tell us how foolish we would be if we placed our salvation on good works rather than on You.  No one can buy their way into heaven.  However, faith and good works, like so much of Catholic teaching, is not an either or proposition, they are both sides of a coin.  A faith that is vibrant, alive and on fire with love moves us to go out into the world and do what we can to alleviate the misery and suffering of another.

When we stand before You Beloved as our Judge, we will be to provide proof of that love as the above texts so clearly point out.  Even a glass of cold water given in Your Name will be counted as an act of love done to You.

Daily Mass Readings:  Isaiah 55:1-3, Romans 8:35, 37-39, 
                                       Matthew 14:13-21, Psalm 145:8-9, 15-18

Isaiah 55:1-3

We have received salvation through You Beloved. You constantly invite us into a deeper relationship with You. Grafted into You, we must put roots deep into You in order that You life Your Spirit may flow into us enabling us to bear good fruit, fruit that will last.  You feed me in the Eucharist.  I drink of the living waters at every Sacrament and grace is replenished and flows from You to me and from me to those around me.  The food of the world does not satisfy, the pleasures of the world are fleeting and they jade the senses.  The food and drink that we receive from You bring life, fullness and joy.

Romans 8:35, 37-39

No my Beloved, nothing can separate us that's true - only I can separate myself from You through grievous sin.  Be merciful Lord, You how how weak I am, do  not permit me to separate myself from You.  Let your love for me bind me ever closer to You each day, mindful of my frailties and weaknesses.  O Lord guard me as the apple of Your eye.  Spread Your wings over me.  Draw me into Your heard through the wound in Your side and there my Beloved hide me.  Let me lie quietly in sweet stillness, at peace, one with You now and forever.

Matthew 14:13-21

"They  do not need to go away, you give them something to eat."  

Beloved You ask me to give what I have no matter how little it may be and to trust You to bless it as I give it away.  You always make Yourself available when we follow You persistently.  Love will prevails and You show Yourself merciful and compassionate.  You will touch and heal me You will feed me. You will satisfy all the longings of my heart.  You will take all I have to give, little though it is, because I give it in love.  I do love You.  I thank You for feeding me always; in You there is abundance and I am satisfied.  You give me enough and more so I in turn can share all I have received from You.  Give me a generous, giving, grateful heart.

Psalm 145:8-9, 15-18

15 All creatures look to you to be fed in due season;  
16 with open hand you satisfy the living according to their needs.
18 He is near those who call on him, who call trustfully upon his name.

Open my mind Lord in order that I might see You and seeing understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment